The heart and soul of the STRINGBIKE, the string itself, uses a uniquely innovative technology – Dyneema HDPE. Strong, durable and extremely flexible, this same technology is used in fitness rooms to lift weights and in heavy-duty sailing equipment.
No tearing, no lubrication – and it stays in place. STRINGBIKE® presents a new dimension in cycling with its uniquely smooth and easy driving sensation. With the STRINGDRIVE® symmetric driving system, the pure rolling motion provides for peak efficiency in all gears that remains unchanged even after long periods of use.
STRINGDRIVE® enables quick and easy gear changes, even under high load. No dead spots means less stress for the same power output, due to faster and easier pedal rotation through the upper and lower idle zones. With no chain to worry about, the STRINGBIKE® is clean and the string itself does not collect dirt. The rear wheel can be removed quickly and easily.
The high level of efficiency is further enhanced by the perfect symmetry of the two sides.
… is a bicycle that uses a rope and pulley drive system instead of a traditional bicycle chain and sprockets. It uses two Dyneema ropes attached to pulleys attached to swinging lever and cam mechanisms, one on each side of the bike. These mechanisms replace the round sprockets found on chain-driven bikes. Unlike some traditional 10-speed gears using a derailleur, there is no slippage when changing gear ratios. The Stringbike uses a 19 gear ratio system with no duplicates and a total gear range of 3.5 to 1. The transmission ratio can be changed with a shifting knob located on the right-side handle grip. Gear ratios can be changed even when the bicycle is almost stationary.
Hungarian designers from the manufacturing company Schwinn Csepel Zrt, unveiled the bicycle in 2010 in Padova, Italy.
- Silky smooth and almost silent riding experience
- Less maintenance, fewer parts to malfunction, long-lasting high efficiency
- No loose, broken, lost or rattling chains
- No lubrication, oil, rust or dirty hands – clean bike, clean hands, clean clothes, clean environment
- No chance of derailleurs going wrong and needing servicing
- No costly chain and drive-system maintenance
- Fewer bike parts exposed to possible damage while riding
- Noticeably easier to climb uphill than with conventional bikes thanks to special riding characteristics of the drive
- Almost continuous shifting through 19 gears, easily controlled by a single handle grip
- Quick and easy removal of the rear wheel makes fixing flat tyres clean and hassle-free
- The strings can be changed easily, without any tools in few minutes.